Frequently Asked Questions

Under the Ministry of Industry (MOI), total of 6 relevant regulatory bodies from 4 ministries are involved in the implementation of the Hazardous Substance Act B.E. 2535  (HSCA) Dept. of Industrial Works (DIW) under the ministry of Industry monitoring the operations of factory and industrial chemicals.

All producers, importers, carriers and persons in possession of listed HS must notify, register or submit application of a license at the Hazardous Substances Control Bureau, DIW

Notification to Department of Industrial Works (DIW) via the online system

Only required for hazardous substances listed in annex 5.6

Information required as:

  • Legal entity
  • Type of activity: production or import;
  • Type of hazardous substances: substance or mixture
  • Trade name and HS code
  • Transport information: UN number, class
  • Composition
  • Type of packaging
  • Manufacturer name and country of origin
  • GHS classification
  • Physico-chemical properties, toxicological, ecotox and disposal information (from SDS)
  • Copy of GHS SDS prepared in Thai (or English)

There are two chemical inventories in Thailand Chemical regulation as:

  • Thailand Existing Chemicals Inventory (TECI), which is maintained by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
  • Preliminary Thailand Existing Chemicals Inventory and maintained by the Department of Industrial Works (DIW).

Submit Notification Dossier to include product composition, manufacturing process, label, MSDS, toxicity data, use, analytical methods

  • Hazardous status and the assignment of the relevant regulating Ministry to be made by the Authority
  • New substances that are not hazardous or do not meet Substance of Very High Concern criteria will qualify for a simplified risk assessment report. SVHC criteria:
    • CMRcategory1A/1B
    • PBT/vPvB
    • Substances of equivalent concern or included in international conventions
    • Production/import volume>=10MT/year & has at least one of the following conditions:
      • Hazard Score 3 (high) / Half-life  >6 months / BCF or BAF >5000 / Endocrine Disrupting Substance
  • For hazardous substances notification of production/import volume will continue to be required when the volume is >1MT/year. Registration and/or License may also be required depending on hazard.

Companies may choose to keep some composition information to themselves due to CBI concern. Under such circumstances, the company has to take its own risk since the DIW could only evaluate the chemicals are hazardous or not based on the information provided. To avoid disclosing this information, the consultant recommends using a third-party representative to deal directly with the DIW on substance identity.

Thailand has implemented GHS through the Hazardous Substance Act and Hazard Classification and Communication System of Hazardous Substances B.E. 2555 (2012). GHS SDSs and labels are required for hazardous substances from 13th March 2013 and for mixtures from 13th March 2017.

Total 8 Record : 1 Page : 1